Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beauty: A retelling of Beauty and the Beast - Robin McKinley

★★★★★★★★★★ (8/10)

I'm going to start a long rant (at least 5 books' worth) about the virtues and disappointments of Robin McKinley.  To me, this woman is the queen of fairy tales retold.  It's always a treat to read her novels and relive the twists she adds to classic stories of my childhood.

I've got to start somewhere, so I begin with one of my favorites - Beauty.  "Beauty and the Beast" is one of the fairy tales I've most enjoyed over the years, and never tire of hearing it told in new and different ways.  When I found this version, I was thrilled and finished it so quickly that I was a little upset that it was over so soon.  After the first read through, I was reminded of an old Jean Cocteau film, "La Belle et La Bête" that had a lot in common with McKinley's story, and this immediately caught my attention, making me want to finish the book that much more quickly.
McKinley weaves a tale that, while short in comparison to what could have been included, is so enrapturing,  that I can't image any fairy tale lover being able to not be in love with it.  It is simple in the way it's written, but it is full of emotion, danger, love, and, as with any good tale, a happy ending.  Beauty (for once!) is not actually beautiful.  This was the first thing that drew me into the novel because it changed a good portion of the setup.  Like most, I was used to being introduced to the Beauty character as if she were one of the most beautiful young women ever dreamed: a simple, kind girl with gorgeous looks that attracted people from miles around.  It was highly refreshing to encounter a girl where "Beauty" was actually a childhood nickname that stuck around.  Beauty's family was also a little different: she had two sister's who weren't absolute terrors.  Usually, the theme of wicked stepsisters comes in when the heroine has female siblings, but McKinley makes them helpful and kind from start to finish.

I was also interested in the way McKinley described the enchantment.  Unlike Disney's version, there's more to the Beast's imprisonment that meets the eye.  Instead of being explained at the beginning, McKinley pieces together the particulars of the spell, bit by bit.  It's is a spell of revenge, but the Beast is not necessarily the one who caused the original offense. It's also interesting that McKinley's Beast has been under the enchantment for over 200 years!   This was wholly unexpected, but it made more sense as the story wore on.
The roses were another interesting facet to this retelling.  Roses are important in every version of "Beauty and the Beast," but they are brought in very sweetly here.  They are lovingly described and it's easy to see the array of colors, smell the richness, and be awed by the simple wonders of them.  They are necessary to the story because they link the Beast to the outside world, but they also symbolize his humanity in a way that is completely heartbreaking.
Overall, Beauty is a good choice for a quick weekend read, and a must for fairy tale lovers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment