Thursday, October 14, 2010

The King in the Window - Adam Gopnik

★★★★★★★★★★ (6/10)

This book puts me in mind of A Wrinkle in Time. It involved complicated science and a weird sort of time travel, but this time, it’s partially in French. The King in the Window follows the story of a twelve year old boy who gets tangled in a centuries-old war between mirrors and windows. It’s a well thought out story, but I would recommend it for readers between ages 8 and 12.

I got this book at a clearance sale, and I assumed that it was just a book out of the fiction section. After reading the first chapter, I realized that I was wrong. While I do think that Mr. Gopnik is a good writer, this novel is perfect for someone who’s just starting to really love chapter books. It’s difficult to write about this novel because I would like to complain about the fact that Gopnik explains more than is necessary, but then I remember that this was meant for children, who might need those explanations. As the book takes place in Paris, there are a few words in French, so it makes sense that their English equivalents are put in, and because it’s written in English, Gopnik explains some turns of phrase that young readers may not understand, such as the way the word “save” can mean “except.”

Other than this, The King in the Window is a rather charming novel. It explores a child’s relationship with his parents, how a child deals with his first crush, how to build confidence, and how to let your imagination take over and help you accomplish the most difficult tasks. It gives a brief lesson in French history, while making me laugh at how that lesson is learned. I also liked how there are hints from the very beginning that tie into the solutions at the end. Gopnik was very clever about the structure of his story. After getting over the feeling that I was too old for this book, it was very enjoyable.

I can't think of anything else to say about, either good or bad.  It's a fine novel and, if you have young readers, this would be a good way to keep them interested in books.

0 comments:

Post a Comment