Monday, February 14, 2011

Crown Duel - Sherwood Smith

★★★★★★★★★ (9/10)

Spoilers ahead!  I couldn't find a way to not write about them. :)

Without a doubt, Crown Duel is one my my favorite weekend reads. It's such an engaging novel that I just zoom straight through it because I don't want to stop until it ends, and even then, I always wish that there would be a sequel or something so that I could just keep reading. I can't quite pinpoint what is so fantastic about this novel, but I think it has something to do with the fact that it has a little bit of everything: rebellion, magic, love, misunderstandings, mystery, war, peace, silliness, parties, friendship.

One of the situations that drives this novel is the comic/tragic misunderstandings between the heroine, Meliara, and a reputed Court dandy, the Marquis of Shevraeth.  They get off on the wrong foot (to put it mildly), and are at odds with each other almost the entire time.  It's amusing to watch their verbal forays, especially when I know what each is thinking while they do not.  Most of their inability to reconcile is due to pure stubbornness and a fear of being mistaken or rejected. Neither one wants to say something that might potentially embarrass either of them. 

As a heroine, Meliara is a wonderful character.  She is intelligent, proud, clever, and faithful to her ideals.  She is a countess (sharing the rule of her county with her brother), but she is not ashamed to admit that she grew up barefoot and running around with the village children.  She is devoted to her people, and puts herself in danger in order to help them.  Yet, she's also extremely brave for going to a place she'd sworn never to go: the Court of Remalna.  She'd been prejudiced against court life early on by her mother, and refuses to visit even after she and her brother Bran, with a lot of help from the Marquis, are victorious against the tyrant king, Galdran.  Somehow, she finds the courage to face her fears, and does pretty well.  She becomes popular, partially because of her "rustic" nature, and enjoys the friendship and help of her future sister-in-law, who assists her in adapting to the customs of the court.  Meliara is just an amazing person, who I'd be friends with, if she weren't fictional.

One more thing I love about the novel, as I do with any good fantasy world, is how vivid the culture, customs, and landscapes are.  Every detail is very consistent, and I enjoy immersing myself in the world of Remalna.  There are the Hill Folk, with whom the kingdom has a pact against chopping down the special colored trees, who are neither human nor tree, but provide a type of protection and support to whoever honors their pact.  Meliara is one of those, and she has a strong connection with the Hill Folk, more so than anyone else she knows.  There is also the court, which changes midway through from treacherous and shallow, to fair-minded and pleasant.  The former is mostly seen as memory through things mentioned by characters like Bran's fiancee Nimiar.  The latter is what Meliara encounters, and although there is still a good amount of intrigue (what court doesn't have intrigue?), this court is something that Meliara can deal with.

Note:  The Crown Duel that I read was "originally published as two novels Crown Duel and Court Duel."  As I discovered upon reading the author's note, when published as two novels, the character and place names are different to try to place the novel in another of Smith's worlds.  So, if you read this and the names I mention don't match, this is the reason.  Which is a good excuse to get this double version: you don't have to stop to change books!

I just have to say it again: Love it! It's perfect becuase I can have danger, rebellion, and near tragedy in the morning, and intrigue, love, and happiness by dinner. I enjoy reading this book so much that I think I'm going to need a new copy after a few more reads. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment