Sunday, April 17, 2011

Colonel Brandon's Diary - Amanda Grange

★★★★★★★ (9/10)

This is another one of Amanda Grange's "diaries" about the men of Jane Austen's world.  Colonel Brandon's Diary uncovers the back story of Colonel Brandon, from Sense and Sensibility.  In Austen's novel, there are only hints, and bits and pieces, of what Brandon's past contained.  I could never be certain who Miss Williams was, nor what possible connection she had with Brandon, regardless of Mrs. Jennings insinuations. Here, Grange imagines what the past held for Colonel Brandon that led to his grave manner, and his deep attachment to Marianne Dashwood.

On reading Sense and Sensibility, I immediately empathized with Brandon, not only because of his affection for Marianne, but for the dark shadow that seemed to plague his past.  I had to guess at what took him away from the group trip to Whitwell, and each time I read the novel, I came up with a different scenario, because nothing really seemed to fit quite well.  It all basically comes out by the end of the novel, but Colonel Brandon's Diary gave me a more clear and probable explanation, and I loved having all of the little details.

For starters, Brandon was not allowed to marry the woman he was in love with, Eliza. To make matters worse, Eliza, was forced to marry Brandon's older, drunkard brother. It's a sad situation, but it spurs Brandon into joining the army, sending him to India, thus the Colonel status by the time we meet him in S&S. For me, what marks him out as an extraordinary person is his devotion to the people he cares about.  Brandon never gave up on Eliza, even when he found her dying of consumption in a debtor's prison.  He owed nothing to Eliza's daughter (also named Eliza), but he took care of her and provided for her as if she were his own.  Even when Eliza (the daughter) runs off and disappears, he goes to her aid when she finally asks him. With Marianne, he is determined to do anything in his power to see her happy, though it might mean letting her marry someone else.  After Marianne's emotional crisis, Brandon still wants only her happiness, and does as she asks, instead of following his own agenda (i.e. trying to woo her when she's still reeling from her own disaster). 

Through Grange's novel, I found that Colonel Brandon is a much deeper character than I had previously thought.  Certain actions or behaviors I remember from S&S have underlying reasons from his past. For instance, he's a very grave and sad figure, but it's because of the string of tragedies he's had to face.  Brandon is also much more generous, both with funds and leniency towards others.  He spared no expense when helping his friends, even going so far as to pay for repairs of the Delaford parsonage out of his own pocket (this may have been expected of him, but I thought it was nice).  Aside from their age difference, his marriage to Marianne was a perfect match: he gave maturity and affection, while she gave youth and admiration.

Overall, this was a great interpretation of Colonel Brandon's life before and during his appearance in S&S.  Like Mr. Darcy's Diary, I saw a great deal that Grange picked up from Austen's novels which I missed, and after I finish reading all of her Austen diary novels, I hope that the next time I read Austen's originals, I'll be able to read them from a new perspective.

0 comments:

Post a Comment