Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Envy - Anna Godbersen

★★★★★★★★ (9/10)

Envy, the third novel in Godbersen's Luxe series, is quite possibly the most captivating in the series so far (I haven't read Splendor yet, so I may prove myself wrong later).  This novel takes the characters introduced in the last two novels and creates a whole new world of betrayal, blackmail, and confusion.  I flew through this novel, and I am eagerly awaiting the purchase of Splendor to see where everyone ends up. The Hollands, Hayeses. Schoonmakers, and Lina all come together again to treat me to another dose of -gasp- "oh, no!" and nearly non-stop laughter.


Penelope Hayes has successfully forced Henry Schoonmaker into marrying her, regardless of his feelings for Diana Holland. Penelope blackmailed Henry by threatening to ruin Diana's reputation unless he married her.  So, at the beginning of Envy, Henry has become a drunk trying to avoid accepting the fate he was suckered into, and Penelope is gloating over her success and new social status.  I can't help but feel sorry for Henry, while at the same time, I want to kick him in the balls for being such an idiot. Penelope, on the other hand, is thoroughly despicable, as usual.  I understand her desire for wealth and power, given that she's a bit of a social climber, bent on selfishly getting whatever her cruel hands decide to sink their claws into.  Though Henry gave in and married Penelope, he has staunchly refused to be her husband in anything but name: they sleep in separate rooms, and he spends as much time away from her as possible. I'd like to give him some kudos for this, but somehow, I can't do that.


Meanwhile, poor, stupid Diana (who let her virginity go just a few weeks before Henry married Penelope) sits at home with her newly bereaved sister, debating whether she should forget Henry or not.  The acrobatics Diana's mind goes through throughout the novel are mind boggling, but I can imagine that a girl in her position at the turn of the century (around 1900) would be thinking the same things. Just as in Jane Austen's 19th century England, young women depend on good marriage to see them safely settled in life.  Love is great if they can find someone to love who has a lot of money, but, often, money is the more important factor.  Diana, however, having lost her love, is at a point where it seems as though she doesn't want to be married, ever. Still, her actions at the end of the novel make me curious as to what she intends to get out of her next adventure.

Elizabeth Holland's life is in complete disarray, so I don't really want to get into that.  I will say that I do pity her, and wish her the best of luck in Splendor, not that I have very high hopes for her happiness.  Lina, on the other hand, has a series of ups and downs in Envy, and I want to see how much longer she can pull of her act. 

There is so much packed into this novel that I'm not going to try to condense it here.  Again, I feel like this series is just getting better and better, with more twists, heartbreak, and interesting circumstances, that I can't wait to read Splendor. It's just sad to know that after that novel, Luxe is over, and I'll have to find a new book or series to capture my interest.  I love this series not only for the dramatic society, but for the characters, and how getting what you want is never easy, and Godbersen proves that sometimes you have to settle for what you can get instead.  There is a great deal of LIFE in these novels, not just a bunch of fluff and happy endings.  How their stories will end is a mystery to me now, but I look forward to discovering what will happen next.

0 comments:

Post a Comment