Friday, June 17, 2011

The Montefeltro Conspiracy - Marcello Simonetta

★★★★★★★★ (4/10)

So this is why I don't usually read non-fiction. It takes way too long to get through, and half of the time, I'm not really interested in what the author is talking about.  That was the case in The Montefeltro Conspiracy. When I purchased this book (for a whopping $1.00), I initially thought it was a work of fiction based on the jacket description and the cover art. Little did I know that 211 pages of research and a grueling week of reading awaited me. While this book may be a gripping read for someone doing post-doctoral research on Italian Renaissance politics, it was not interesting for a casual reader hoping to be a part of the discovery of a dastardly plot. 

I almost think that it's needless to say that summarizing this book is impossible.  Simonetta includes so many details (which are useful) and covers so many events and situations that I would have to write 30 pages to summarize the conspiracy he uncovered.  This being the case, I'm just going to gloss over the summary in a few sentences.

There was a conspiracy to kill Lorenzo de' Medici (The Magnificent) that has been historically proved, but Simonetta discovered (from letters in a family archive?) that the structure of this conspiracy was developed and masterminded in part by the Duke of Urbino, Federico de Montefeltro (thus the title).  Simonetta covers a period of around six years, where he explains the plots, letters, wars, political tricks, and money exchanges that took place to bring about the conspiracy as well as its aftermath.  By the end of the novel, everyone is dead, and life moves on for the rest of Italy.

I liked all of the art included as visual aids, but I think that was about it.

So, this is a warning to me to not read non-fiction unless I have to.  Things like biographies or something may not be too bad, but The Montefeltro Conspiracy was much too involved for the type of reading that I like to do.  I don't want to talk about this book anymore. :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment